March 06, 2014

Mucky Dogs And Dubs

Earlier on today while taking my son's little tyrannosaurus rex  doggie a lengthy walk down the cricket pitch path, a van wooshed past, ripping through a muddy puddle and soaking us both in the process.

During my somewhat loud profanities, the van came to an abrupt halt with its hazard lights on around 50 yards ahead.
   A man of around forty came running towards me with a blanket draped over his arm.   Handing it to me to rub off the worst of the puddle stains, he couldn't have been any more apologetic.   A bush had been obscuring his vision on the slight curve, and assuming the road clear, sped on.

I accepted his apology, cleaned myself (and Hetfield the mutt) as best as, declined the offer of a run home (as I knew the dog wouldn't settle in the van) and felt a bit fortunate in the fact that most vehicles would simply have driven on regardless.  But, ahh................

It may be late, thirty-odd years late, but I hang my head in (a modicum of) shame, recalling the times my first boyfriend
and I went in his car, seeking out victims (not old dears or children) after heavy rainfall or melted snow and finding it hilarious.  I think we know which way I'll be heading if there's an afterlife..................

***********************************************************

8 comments:

Jon said...

I can identify with your feelings. Thirty years ago I would have found it hilarious, too.

It's amazing that the man actually stopped and apologized. That took courage.

ariverflowsby said...

what? you did what? OMG!!!!

Geo. said...

Have no fear of damnation. The moral debt has been settled by the cosmos and a rather nice motorist. Great story!

Steven Cain said...

Thus we learn.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

HA I felt bad for you until I read that you did it to other people :) karma my friend!

So nice of the man to stop. Pay it forward :)

Unknown said...

You reap what you sow. Or: not-so-instant karma has got you. Love your last line :-).

kaykuala said...

Fun when it lasted! Poetic justice so they say is an education!

Hank

LA Botchar said...

Aw, that was very sweet of him. I've been drenched by puddle splashers before, and no one has ever stopped.

It's one of those things that is hilarious -- as long as it happens to somebody else. LOL