December 07, 2012

Belief Never Dies

I've had quite an emotional week.  As we know, my son, GingerJesus, is the drummer in his band, No Need For Idols. Recently, their gigs for the remainder of the year  (which included their annual Xmas show at Cornton Vale, Scotland's only women's prison) had to be cancelled. Sadly, Callum, the band's bass guitarist, lost his father, Kenny.  He passed away suddenly at a very young 47.

Kenny was NNFI's biggest believer. His guidance and support helped build their confidence and with his wife, Trisha, worked hard at keeping that enthusiasm and fight going in the very rocky road of music.  When I think of that very first jittery gig the guys played at the community hall, to what they deliver now is incredible.

 All parents of the bands' members have shown support, but our input compared Kenny's leaves us well in the musical shade.  He sacrificed, loved and bled devotion for the band.  Hopefully, in the near future, young Callum will feel ready enough to shine once again on a place his father's pride took him. The stage.

This isn't just another entry into my Blogger's diary. Nor indeed yet another boast and plug for the Idols although I've uploaded my favourite ballad of theirs once more below *ahem* just to let anyone interested hear what he mostly worked at with them. 

   At the funeral, cards were handed out containing a poem he wrote about his kids. It was so very touching as I didn't know we both share a passion for poetry. And this Christmas will be very hard for his family. His wife, Trish, is one of the friendliest and sweetest people I've ever met. My heart goes out to her. 

But I'm sure the next time anyone who knew Kenny plays a NNFI track, and listens just that teensy bit harder, they'll pick up that little tweak to the song that ever so resembles a certain heartbeat.
  
 
************************************************** 



3 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I really loved this Helena. You're so gifted!!

Hey Monkey Butt said...

I've enjoyed what I've heard of the band and am so sorry to hear of his passing. That's always hard, the holidays don't make it any easier either. My thoughts are with them and hoping the band will be able to pull it back together, if only for the respect of Kenny!

Tigerbrite said...

So sorry to read this, what a tragedy so young. The band's track is great.