August 10, 2012

☻ Ordinary (Kinda) Days (4) ☻

Was a bit of grump today as Scotland hit 81°, and I'm more of an 'innings' than 'outings' gal in the summer, but the sun (and a few beers) seduced my hubby enough for him to take on the task of cutting the back hedge, giving me a bit of peace and Judge Judy time.  Yes, Judy is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I haven't missed an episode in 15 years! The woman's flawless and her patter is short, sweet and nippy in all the right places. So that's that one outed........☺

By late afternoon, I agreed to venture out for a food shop and to pay our council tax and ended uppercutting myself on the chin at the counter of the tax office, as my elbow slid due to the thick layer of sunblock I applied. As my face is 'menopausal-red' most of the year, the assistant's giggles wouldn't have made my blushes any deeper!  

And the bank was a nightmare too!  This kid from Hell circled around the queue time and time again, singing in-audibly what could very well pass as a chant, while mummykins entertained herself by listening to her iPod.   To make matters worse, the bank's air conditioning was down, so to tolerate slow service with this devilkin wannabe before my big-shop-with-red-face, was difficult.  I had to restrain myself from tripping him up on his 55th lap!  The only thing that kept me going was the thought of my feet (they go really hot in the summer regardless of what kind of shoe I wear!) sliding into the freezer a cool water bowl for 10 mins on my return........

Back home sat I now, feet in bowl of perfumed water in front of the TV.   Not having the greatest of memory......what was I saying again.....oh, yeah....I wrongly punched in the numbers on the control and ended up with the God TV channel, which so happened to be airing an "Understanding Male Homosexuality Conference" whose understanding in context seemed to mean 'judging harshly'.  Shouting my protests under a deeply frowned brow, I had given myself a worse headache than the acolyte did and pruned feet in a neat shade of bluish-purple to boot.  It didn't help either, when the powder I'd used to help thoroughly dry my tootsies, turned my kitchen lino into a skating rink. 


I was given a little reward, helping to make up for my day's slips, bips and gips though.  GingerJesus emailed me from Edinburgh with some fabulous snaps.   His band No Need For Idols  have been invited to take part in the annual Edinburgh Fringe Festival 
celebrations for a few days, performing cover songs from 60's - present day material.  As exciting as it is, he says he's spotted and conversed with quite a few celebrities - particularly comedians -  but it's this snap of him with the world's most pierced woman, Elaine Davidson that he's absolutely raving about!!  Bet she's easy to buy for each birthday........! See ya's soon!
******************************************************

5 comments:

ariverflowsby said...

81! that's a cold wave here......
This has been one of those summers that can't end soon enough!

Jon said...

If it ever got down to 81 here in Texas, the people would be getting out their snow skis.

As for the kid from hell in the bank - - you SHOULD have tripped him up on his 55th lap! Kids like that are the sole reason why I never produced any.....

As for Judge Judy:
She scares the hell out of me. She's a Nazi in a black robe. I think her unbearable bravado has the ability to turn a straight man gay - - - or at least render a straight man impotent.....
(am I being too harsh?)

Helena said...

lol.......no Jon, she is a little ball of judgmental mayhem! Nothing would surprise me!

Ginny Brannan said...

Just happened to read a little further down the page after your Magpie. I had to laugh, as I have had days like this, the screaming kids, the heat. Went through 3 years of lovely hot flashes, but that is mostly behind me now, except on rare occasion. And Judge Judy is like an "escape" for me too, saying all the things I tend to think about the lazy and the just plain stupid!! After watching an episode or two of her, we can feel pretty darn good about our own life and relationships!!
Cheers...oh, and try to keep cool!!

Helena said...

Thanks so much, Ginny! We've just had thunder here in Scotland with added lashings of rain......*phew*