February 05, 2012

Greta's Garnet


They parted from circumstance, danced on the line
A beauty in red, fooled by travel and time
A promise to her in her winter visage
A figure that showed in his future mirage

Seas flowed with crimson, shores tinged with pink
Time trading years in no more than a blink
Each with a garnet, stamped with return
As long as the heart beat, then so would the yearn

Old age took hold, at the table she'd sit
Cutting the seeds from a pomegranate
And her stone still continued with crisp, vibrant spark
As guided out Noah, when it became dark


Death took her hostage, and his she became
As she sang on her deathbed her lost lover's name
Of course he'd still find her,  her garnet displayed
From the hands of her youth, and their stone from the grave.

******************************

20 comments:

Dick Jones said...

This begs a tune! It would sing really well.

Helena said...

I'll fetch me guitar, Dick!

Tess Kincaid said...

Yes, I totally agree...these are lyrics!

Helena said...

...all I need is a riff, a middle eight, possibly an outro - and I'm laughing......

Brian Miller said...

ah def lyrical and i hope that they do find each other once more...smiles.

Isabel Doyle said...

Such longing ...

rel said...

Beautiful tribute to undying love.
rel

Deborah said...

I have to agree, the 'lyrics' are written and read effoertlessy ... brilliantly done!

Tigerbrite said...

Super for a song.

Unknown said...

I love lyrics and I love this post. It is begging a tune. Don't let this little gem become a hostage of death without becoming a song. Thanks for sharing. =D

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done...thanks for sharing

Maggie said...

I agree! I hear this as music. Gee, I wonder who could sing it? Hmm...

Helena said...

Oh,my! A challenge on my hands here. Not the usual type of song (undying love) I'd be writing, but I suppose I could try a chord or two and see what flows........you have been warned......!!!!!!!!!!

Cad said...

You sing the melody, and I'll supply harmonies! LOL

Helen said...

I enjoyed the flow, the rhythm and rhyme of your Greta's Garnet.

Jingle Poetry At Olive Garden said...

musical stuff is always welcome.

excellent magpie.

Anonymous said...

**** she must if she must.....by the weekend ****

Little Nell said...

I love the way you kept the red imagery running through the poem like a thread - even the pomegranate - excellent!

Kathe W. said...

I can hear the accompaning music now-lovely words

Intelliblog said...

Lovely images you have captured with this Magpie, Lena. And yes, I'll listen to the song when it comes out.