March 01, 2012

Oh, Mammoria - Let Me Go.....!

The second stage of my breast lump investigation is now over....phew!   I had all 3 examinations in one (long) afternoon which is still excellent service.  I speak not a word of a lie when I say the mammogram was ruddy well sore, the biopsy stung like the clappers (they were short staffed so I agreed to the procedure without anaesthetic !) but by the soothing voice and touch of the sonographer at my ultrasound, all was forgiven.  She was a young lass with beautiful Asian features - and spoke with a soft Scottish accent - and we were talking music in no time!  I just hold tight for 6 weeks on results, lest they call me back sooner.

I have to admit - sitting in a room with women of all ages, some with breast cancer, some similar to me, and others for check ups -  I was truly humbled.  The girl next to me, who I'd been chatting away with had 3 of a family, her youngest was 8, she was barely 40 and fighting a cancerous tumour.  All that time we sat conversing, I had no idea she was wearing a wig.  It was only when she had to adjust it a bit at the back that she mentioned it.  Gobsmacked I was - it was the double of my daughter's hairstyle, colour and all!   Incredibly natural.  Everyone agreed that treatment and aftercare are so advanced these days,  that it made for a more positive outlook.  But even I, with my less than 5% chance of this being cancer, still can't shake off the the possibility factor. 

Anyhow, I was glad to get home and needed a day or two's rest just to get over the afternoon's hullabooby-loo. And I knew things were back to normal when PrettBoy asked how my hospital apps went and then added for true measure:

  " Did you remember to tell folk that I programme the robots there?"

  "Of course, son....." I added,  "I would have been a right (or left ) tit to have forgotten.  Now get the kettle oan!"
***************************************************

10 comments:

thingy said...

I'm sending you hugs. : )

Lolamouse said...

Best of luck to you! Six weeks is a hell of a long time to bite your nails waiting! I've had to do the diagnostic ultrasound but haven't had the "fun" of a biopsy. Breast cancer runs in my family, so I get the yearly squish. It's such fun being a woman!

Helena said...

Aw - thank you ladies. Six weeks is quite long to wait, but I'm seeing it in the 'no news is good news' light for now!

Lola - sorry to hear it runs in the family and the yearly 'squish' (lol) is needed but thank goodness for the the option these days!

I felt it more when they used the smaller press that goes directly over the problem area. I was holding my breath so tight I was close to farting - and I never thought a boob could take on that shape...it was like pressing a scone cutter into some dough!! But, moan maybe, smile mostly - it was all worth it.

James Rainsford said...

A powerful and deeply felt write. My best wishes, James

Helena said...

Thank you, James. Very much indeed.

Other Mary said...

Good luck, I hope you get good news! Sounds like you have a great attitude, and good chances, and I can't seem to say anything that doesn't sound like a stupid cliche, but I really do wish you the best.

Other Mary said...

Good luck, I hope you get good news! Sounds like you have a great attitude, and good chances, and I can't seem to say anything that doesn't sound like a stupid cliche, but I really do wish you the best.

Deborah said...

Sending lots of postivity and hugs your way Helena xxx
... and aren't kids brilliant! :o)

herry tan said...

Wuuaaaaaa.. your blog very attractive n interesting, i love it...

Come and see my simple blog too if u have time..

Herry-tan.blogspot.com, but i still new member on blogspot, thks..

Friko said...

Oh Bummox!

Good luck, old girl. I've had cancer (not breast) and have been free of it for years now. It's not nice, but no longer a death sentence.