January 28, 2014

Flat-out or Fifty?

It didn't hurt too much.  Made the next '0' without any major hiccups. My twin sis and my daughter sadly couldn't make it up from London as originally planned, but as Kerri put it, when we do manage our next get-together it will be done in momentous-knees-up style.  My lads PrettyBoy and PeaPod, made sure I wasn't heading for snuffleland, as this was the first birthday with that milestone zero in, that I haven't shared with my twin.

Anyhow - I was delighted with the cake that Carlene - PrettyBoy's partner - made for me.  Decorated with favourite Swizzel Sweets from my childhood ( Love Hearts, Parmaviolets, Fizzers etc ) with a lolly representing each decade passed, I was in tooth decay Heaven.  Later on, PeaPod put to me that in balance, now that I'm getting REALLY old,  I no longer befitted my  ' a-big-kid at heart ' title, but upgraded to 'a-teenager-at-heart' (with arthritis).  

 So, God help womanhood if bubble perms, Simon Shirts, and tartan-rimmed cropped trousers are all the trend again.  God help Neil Sutherland (my high school crush) Jimbo Miles (my much older brothers' friend ) and Robert McMillan ( my handsome, 6ft 4in 'first' whose arms my big brothers may still want to break ) for ever having ruled my heart.  R.I.P  Spangles, Peanut Treets and Robertson's Gollywog Blackcurrent Jam.  God bring back Tiswas, Barbapapa and Mr.Hopwood from Grange Hill to our HD ready screens, and turn back time to stop Duran Duran, Tenpole Tudor and Sister Sledge from ever having entered the charts.  



But, as I may even had been too old back then in teen-mode, I'd easily settle still for a pair of clackers,  a Pippa Doll (gee, those girls had class and great taste in men ) and most desired by me, a 3D Viewmaster.  Any theme, I'm not fussed. So, c'mon, Lord.  I know you can't help Muvva Naycha being a bitch and aging us but how about a mini miracle, a little slice of the past to help ride my remaining years out?  There's cake in it for you if you do..........
**************************************************************************

I'd never have missed a day at school if Mr.hopwood had been MY woodwork teacher! AND he'd never get away with this kind of 1980's thing in today's classroom.....but ain't he 'andsome!?


***************************************************************************************************

10 comments:

Jon said...

It's obvious that you had a wonderful time, surrounded by a loving family - - even though your twin was absent.

And look at the bright side - you're only half way there. I'm sure you still have 50 more to go!
Happy Birthday!

By the way, I still have my old
3D Viewmaster.

Steven Cain said...

Happy Birthday! Glad the kids helped make it rock! Eight months for me. Used to think I'd make a big deal of it, but not sure I give two shits at this point. Screw HD... Give me a Viewmaster!

ariverflowsby said...

Happy Birthday....wish i was just 50........

Geo. said...

Fifty is a great year! My kids kidnapped me and I couldn't get out of San Francisco for 2 days! Now I'm 64 and they let me come and go as I please. It gets better and better! Happy Birthday Helena. I knew there was some reason the world started making more sense in 1964. Thanks for showing up!

auntiegwen said...

Happy birthday hen, so weird reading that my old mate The Edge aka Neil S was your high school crush, don't tell him, it will swell his head! xxx

Unknown said...

Congratulations! One half-century down, many more to go. And yes, I too am the proud owner of a red 3D viewmaster.

Helena said...

Jon - I'll hold you to that...!

Steven - I think I'm warming to the two shits thing....yeah

Richard - just you pause for a wee while and I'll try catch you up!

Geo - I'm genuinely touched - I thank you so much. I now see kidnap in a different light!

Gwen - thanks for the wishes! I'm not sure how it feels yet. And he already knows about me and Wendy Webster....LoL

Rob - So....eh.....this Viewmaster....are you fond of it...?

Ginny Brannan said...

Great meter and rhyme. A well-rounded tale indeed.

Sue J said...

Are Spangles and Blackcurrant jam a thing of the past then??? I emigrated in 1970 but I used to like those Old English Spangles. Could never get Spangles in OZ but we can still get blackcurrant jam. Not Robertson's though.

Jenny Woolf said...

OMG you mean they have stopped making Peanut Treets? I can feel one in my mouth right now as I think of it....