January 25, 2013

I Beg Your Bardon...?!

I know I'm cutting it a bit fine but I couldn't let today pass without a mention to our other national poet Robert Burns, born on this day.

The most of Scotland celebrate Burn's Night, and dine on haggis, neeps and tatties, all washed (in my case forced) down with a whiskey or two!   Thankfully, the kids can't play the bagpipes.

Happy Birthday, Rabbie. You certainly deserved my father's adoration. He could recite your poems so fluently. We miss you both...! I've left my favourite piece of Burny below and remember fondly, from my childhood, the inscribed brass plaque that used to hang on our kitchen wall!




 ********************************** 
link to DAILY RECORD article RIGHT HERE 

3 comments:

Jon said...

I had no idea that the birthday of Robert Burns was so enthusiastically celebrated in Scotland. I'll have a whiskey in his honor - - without the bagpipes!

ariverflowsby said...

Hey! What's wrong with bagpipes?

Optimistic Existentialist said...

LOL I shall join Jon in a whiskey!!