August 21, 2009

Drawing Nearer.

I'm sitting here right now, glancing out of the bedroom window. It's 9pm and almost dark. Perhaps the fact that it's a shitty night in Scotland is adding to early dusk but it's a real pleasure to see.

I'm not gloomy by nature nor a killjoy by any means. I just adore winter and long, dark nights. To be honest, I'm the only one I know that prefers winter to any other season. My favourite bit? When it's dark by 4.30pm. I love the house to be cozy, smelling of homemade soup and in jimjams by 5pm, with a bowl of ham broth and chunky bread on a tray in front of me. Then I enjoy a nights sleep that I know will content my resting soul, no birds nor light to disturb it too soon.

Nights out are more joyous. Especially if it's a cool, calm sky studded with stars. My particular joys are on bonfire night, and the whole of December. Fireworks and fairy lights deem more colour than even the flowers of summer. Againts dark backgrounds they are hypnotically vibrant. Colours feed off the night.

If I'm really lucky there will be snow at some point. Making my own creations from piles of the stuff can see me out in it for hours. To the point of my toes turning blue and numb. But at least there is one more advantage that winter holds over summer. It's ME who dictates how warm I want to be and not mother nature giving me no choice in the matter.

Carpe Noctum.......

7 comments:

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

I love every season for what it brings but I prefer the cold so that I can choose how hot or cold I am too. Sunny crisp days with a cool teperature and a blue sky are my absolute favourite.

Americanising Desi said...

snow!! wow!

the whole thought of it gives me shivers :)

i m a night person too! but where i come from without a husband i m so not allowed night outs!

sulks!

auntiegwen said...

Nooooooooooooooooo ! auntie likey the sun, can we trade? I'll let you have my winter for your summer?

Helena said...

Gwen - it's a deal!

Jay said...

There is nothing better than sitting by a fire surrounded by cold kept at bay. And of course, poking the fire with a stick just to help re-ignite the fire gods.

Jannie Funster said...

You and I are cut from the same cloth. I ADORE winter. Sweaters and sweatpants and boots and scarves. Running with wild abandon across the moors while swilling hot whiskey from a flask. Bring it on, Texas, bring on some snow. And soon!!!

Tori Amos loves winter too. I read it in a booke of hers.

Lady of Perpetual Chaos said...

You make winter sound so wonderful. Maybe it's better in Scotland than Utah?! It seems to last forever around here. I like it until January 1, then I'm ready for Spring.